Thursday, August 21, 2008

Happy Anniversary...to us! :)


This evening, Marshall and I did what we do every year on this day. We went over to the Ladd Observatory to drink champagne and toast the people we love and those who helped make our wedding special. Today is our 9th wedding anniversary, and it was the first time we had someone join us to commemorate our marriage. Little Aila, our adorable sweetheart, does not yet have a babysitter - so, we gathered up our champagne, our special glasses, our yummy piece of white cake and our daughter, and went over for our annual visit - before her bedtime. We were married under the stars at 9pm, so typically, we go back at that time - but this year, it wasn't to be.

What an incredible experience it was to sit on that bench overlooking the beautiful grassy spot where we were married, and watch our 18 month old daughter delight in a beautiful summer evening. Hilariously, she dipped her fingers into our glasses and tasted the champagne (over and over again), and she not only kissed a few trees on the property (we do this everywhere we go together), but she was suddenly overcome with the need to drop onto the grass and roll around while squealing and giggling. This drop-and-roll-and-giggle routine went on for 15 straight minutes! We laughed and laughed and laughed. She just kept going!

What a thrill. This child we love so deeply helped us celebrate our union. All children should have such a marvelous time just being alive. I am so grateful she was so happy tonight. I sure was. There I was, with my handsome, treasured soulmate and my beloved daughter.

I am so thankful.




- J

22 comments:

Trudi said...

Happy Anniversary! How WONDERFUL to carry on your tradition and how fitting to include Aila in it - this year at least. What beautiful gifts you have been given - each other, and your gorgeous happy child. And of course your family who loves you, loves you, and you, and you. And Aila loving champagne - Nana T would have guessed that :) Our girl is a royal Princess (with chair and all) LOVE YOU!

Mary Brewster said...

Congratulations to all three of you! You are a beautiful family, and it is my deep pleasure to watch it with you. I will get over to see you SOON.
My best to you all, Mary

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

Congratulations to you all. I'm thrilled you had such a wonderful evening. Aila looks amazing. Can't wait to see you at the end of the month. Take Care.

Much Love,
Us

Theresa said...

What a great post! Happy Anniversary! It's so wonderful Aila could share in your special tradition this year. She looks so incredibly happy. Like night and day from the scared little baby in the orphanage that first day of bonding in Semey. Isn't it amazing? It's great to see you all doing so well!!

Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved this post. I have tears in my eyes. I could feel your joy.

What an awesome tradition! It never occured to me to have something like that. How absolutely wonderful.

And I'm glad it's not just my child who wants more of the good stuff. :-)

We were married almost 1 year apart. Very cool.

John & Jenny Morgan said...

Happy anniversary!!

Aila's shirt was appropriate for the celebration. I wish I could hear the giggle that accompanies that adorable smile! I can't believe how big she's getting and how much hair she has!

The Cook said...

Happy anniversary...love the pics, she looks so big and so happy.

Sandi said...

Happy Anniversary. How wonderful you were able to spend your special day and special place with your daughter. Wow, she is getting so big, and continues to get cuter. I can imagine how amazing her giggles sound.

Hugs and wishes for many more happy years.

Sadni

Patrick & Eileen said...

Happy 9th wedding anniversary! The way you celebrate your anniversary is so romantic - very loving! It was just that much sweeter this year.

The photos of Aila giggling and tree kissing are so wonderful. You can really see her growth (and her hair getting longer too). My favorite is the final photo - worthy of framing.

Aila's T-Shirt was very appropriate!

Congrats again,
Eileen

Karen said...

Here's to many more squeals, giggles and kisses. Life just doesn't get any better than this.

Clink-clink. Happy Anniversary Robinson Family!

Karen

Susan said...

Happy anniversary! What a beautiful celebration. I love those pictures of Aila, and seeing her so happy.

Susan, Mitch, and Tyler

Angela said...

Happy anniversary! Looks like a fantastic way to celebrate! Cheers to a fantastic couple with a fantastic daughter!

Diana said...

Tree kissing and rolling in the grass. Just simply Happy! So Sweet.

Susan said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY INDEED!
Aila is such a pretty happy joyful child...and why wouldn't she be??

I wonder if Leeza will look something like her when she gets older.
what a great post. So happy to see you filled with such joy and peace. :)

Hug that sweet girl for me!!

Our Family of Bloggers said...

This post made me smile. Could definitely feel the happiness from all of you. Aila looks beautiful as always. And I love that she loves to roll around in the grass- my kind of girl!

Anonymous said...

I usually giggle and roll around in the grass after several sips of champagne too - Aila is a kindred spirit!
Let's all have a toast when Obama wins ;-)

Shannon

Kelly and Sne said...

Hmm, did the champagne have anything to do with tree-kissing and rolling on the ground???

Just kidding - that is great that you three can celebreate together. Very special. And Aila is precious.

Sam said...

happy anniversary. very cute. her hair is so long

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary! She is getting so big!

amandaorr said...

Beautiful photos, a beautiful child and a beautiful couple. We love you...congratulations on number 9!!! We love you.

Susan said...

hey there....I don't have your email address in my laptop...
can you please email me at babykazfan@gmail.com Trudi's email address? i wanted to send her a note thanking her for all her sweet comments. :)

thanks!

Susan

Aaron and Julie said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!!!!!!!!