Thursday, June 5, 2008

6


6 months ago today, we became full-time parents.

6 months ago today, Aila left the Babyhouse in our arms and became a full-fledged Robinson.

6 years ago, we began our journey to Parenthood.
There were days - months, even - when I wanted to give up. I found that grappling with infertility was, at times, too hard, too back-breaking, too disappointing. There were so many heartbreaks along the way that I often wondered if devoting all of our time, energy, resources and focus to becoming parents was really worth it.

6 months ago today, I became Aila's mommy, and now I know.

Every single injection, every single surgery, every single disappointment, every single bit of the pain and suffering - it was ALL worth it. Now I know. I would do it ALL again, suffer through all of the terror, physical, emotional and psychic pain, just to get to Aila.

I have been transformed by the love I feel for my daughter and by her constant, magnificent presence in my life. I could not possibly love her more if I had physically given birth to her. Being Aila's mother is an honor, and I am in awe of her.

And, sharing the experience of being Aila's parent, with my husband (wow, what a lucky girl to have him as a Dad), is enriching and nourishing and exhausting and inspiring and life-affirming like nothing else in the world.

These past 6 months have been the scariest, most intense, most eye-opening, rock-our-world months of our lives. It is my sincere hope that we all live very, very long lives so that we can share as much time together as possible.

- J

11 comments:

Kjersten, Steve, Aitugan & Nurai said...

I can't say it better than that Jen.

It is 'our' sincere hope we all live very, very long lives (near each other) so that we can share as much time together as possible. Love to you all. Take Care.

Sandi said...

You made me cry. what an awesome post, and so true. THe path to our children is never outlined and all the bumps along the way lead us in the right direction.

You're one beautiful family. May you have many years of happy memories.

Sandi

Catalina said...

Congratulations for being Aila`s mom for 6 months, I am sure this time is priceless. I also went through many years of infertility, surgeries, dissapointments etc and I can feel every word you wrote. Now being home with my children I almost forgot everything, it was definetely worth it. I wish you many happy years together, you are all 3 very lucky to have each other.

Patrick & Eileen said...

We have walked the same path and you're a little ahead of the game with 6 months as full-time parents of Aila. I can't wait to follow where you are to feel like all that I've gone through was worth it.

To be a mommy and to feel a great love for my child.

I am so so happy for you!!
Eileen

Angela said...

Isn't it strange how much life changes so quickly with a child? There is the complete shift from you to them and there was no way you could predict how amazing (and crazy and intense and . . . ) it feels. And, they are absolutely awe-inspiring.

I love how you have come to peace with the fertility treatments - it takes a very wise person to see everything as events along the path to Alia. Thanks for the fresh perspective.

Happy 6 month anniversary!

yorkiemom said...

Congratulations on being a family for six months! Aila is really growing up fast, I can't believe it's been six months.

dnd82001 said...

What a wonderful post......having walked the same path I can say I do know that everything happens for a reason and although I don't know my little reason yet I know it is supposed to be.............


Darlene

Kaz Blog Reader said...

Happy 6 months!!! Time flies, even with so many transitions - the hard and the beautiful. To have it all summed up in a beautiful, precious little girl is awe inspiring.

Chris & Christy said...

What an awesome post! Isn't it the most incredibly, and crazy, thing to know that this little girl was always meant to be your daughter?

I just got done emailing a very good girlfriend of mine, actually she is Zahri's nanny, about this very thing. She and her husband have been through the same infertility journey that the two of you went through, and I was telling her that it is crazy the connection I feel to Z, she IS my daughter. I am happy to say that they are also planning to start their adoption......and I believe they too will be meeting their child in Kaz! :) I hope you don't mind but I shared your post with her via cut and paste.

Thank you again,
Christy

Karen said...

Whatever time we're given is anyone's guess, which makes it even more precious and beautiful. A wonderful post, once again. Thank you.

Happy Anniversary Aila, Jennifer and Marshall. May you be blessed with many more years together.

Hugs,
Karen, Bob & Garrett

Jennifer said...

Amen! I really can't add more to it than that! You summed it up so perfectly and so right.

Congratulations on the 6 months! What a great milestone!